There is a need to maintain harmony in the home color scheme. Read tips about different paint colors and color cues.
Imagine how lackluster life would be if there didn't exist something as interesting as colors. Everywhere we look, we see color. Colors infuse joy and happiness in our lives and in fact make it worth living. Each color brings with it a unique feel and affects our minds differently. When it comes to choosing the particular dress of your color and choice, the task is relatively easier. However, there are certain things for which deciding on the color is not as easy as it appears. Consider painting your home - while you may be under the impression that you are bound to find the right one among so many color options, wait till you actually get round to it. You may be stumped when confronted with a plethora of color choices and schemes. That is why selecting home colors from the hundreds available can very often become a confusing or even a daunting job for the homeowner. As a rule of thumb, however, you must refrain from buying paints for your home on impulse. The choice of colors and combinations used can make or mar your home decor. Hence, due care must be given to do it in a way that makes it look appealing not just for you, but for all family members residing with you. Before you make the final color choice it is necessary for you to make an overall room scheme. Following are some color cues to help you in the selection of paint colors for your home.
- When you go to paint shops, you may be shown paint chips. It is quite possible that you may instantly like a color chip and you may zero in on that color. However, remember that a color always looks more intense on the wall than it does on a small paint chip. It is advisable for you to opt for a lighter shade. This way the color will not overwhelm your room.
- Colors can also influence your room by making it look bigger than it is or smaller than it is. If you have a small room, you can choose a lighter color for the wall, which will only make it look bigger than it is. To create a cozier ambience by making the room look smaller, use darker colors.
- Before you decide on a paint color in a store, find out how it looks in your home. This is very important as the lighting in the store is likely to be different from the store's lighting. Even the lighting in your own home will vary at various times of the day. Many paint companies offer small inexpensive test samples to aid you in making the most suitable choice. You can make use of this option by painting a test area on your wall before making your final decision. Check the color at different times of the day to ensure you like the color. Colors can change significantly under different light conditions.
- You can resort to the most traditional way of choosing paint colors. This is known as the law of complementary colors. Art and design theories state that opposite colors complement each other.
- Another way to decide on the color is to take home several paint chips and see how they look in your room. You can hold them up to the furniture, floors, artwork and cabinets to shortlist colors that blend in well. This can help you narrow down your choices.
- There's no reason why you shouldn't let your creative juices flow when it comes to painting your home. Instead of coloring all the walls in the same color, you can think out of the box and try some unique paint effects. Try colorful paint techniques such as color blocking, stenciling and color washing. You can use various paint colors on the same wall or you can use different finishes for subtle and elegant effects.