Appam and Kadala Curry Recipe
Photo Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/devika_smile/9442565958
|Appam and Kadala Curry Recipe|
||25 Minutes |
||40 Minutes |
|Calories Per Serving
- For Appam
- 1 cup (237 ml) Coconut (grated)
- ½ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 3 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 cup (473 ml) Raw Rice(Pachari)
- Thin Coconut Milk (as needed)
- 1 cup (237 ml) Cooked Rice
- 1 cup (237 ml) Coconut Water
- For Kadala Curry
- To roast and grind
- 1 2/2 cup Kadala ( Chana)
- 12 Red Chilies
- Curry Leaves
- 4- 5 Shallots
- 2 tsp Oil
- ½ cup Coriander Seeds
- ½ cup Grated Coconut
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- To Season
- Small pieces of Coconut (Optional)
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp Minced Shallots
- 2 springs Curry Leaves
How to make Appam and Kadala Curry:
- First soak raw rice for 4-5 hours.
- Grind the rice to a smooth batter with grated coconut.
- Soften yeast in 1 cup of coconut water for ½ hour.
- Add soften yeast to the above ground batter.
- Then add sugar and salt as well.
- Take a pan and heat it.
- Pour a ladle full of batter and gently swirl the pan around such that a thinner layer of batter covers the sides and a thicker fatter layer settles in the middle.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook until the edges are golden and the center portion become soft.
- Take out the Appam from the pan with care and keep it in a serving plate.
- Kadala Curry
- Soak chana overnight and pressure cook it with salt till soft.
- Drain the water in which cooked.
- Heat a thick bottomed pan with 2 tsp of oil.
- Roast coriander seeds for 5-7 mins in medium flame.
- Put red chilies, garlic, coconut, turmeric powder and the curry leaves until the roasted aroma spreads around.
- Add shallots and fry for a min.
- Grind to smooth paste adding enough water.
- Now pour the paste over the cooked chana in the pressure cooker, bring to a boil and simmer until raw smell of the spices disappears.
- Then heat oil in a pan, and put splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and brown the coconut pieces.
- Pour this to the curry.