Appam and Vegetable Stew Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.devskerala.co.uk/
|Appam and Vegetable Stew Recipe|
||480 Minutes |
||40 Minutes |
|Calories Per Serving
- 1 cup (237 ml) Coconut (grated)
- ½ tsp active dry Yeast
- 3 tsp Sugar
- 2 cup (473 ml) Raw Rice(Pachari)
- Thin coconut milk (as needed)
- 1 cup (237 ml) Cooked Rice
- 1 cup (237 ml) Coconut Water
- Vegetable Stew
- 2 stalks Curry Leaves
- 1 Glass Water
- 4 Green Chilies (slit)
- 1 cup Coconut (grated)
- 2 cups (473 ml) Mixed Vegetables (cut in small cubes)
- 2 Onion (cut in long strips)
- 1/2 inch Ginger (cut in long strips)
- For seasoning:
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leave (Tej Patta)
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 5 Shallots (sliced)
- 2 Cardamom pod (Elaichi)
- Salt to taste
How to make Appam and Vegetable Stew:
- First soak raw rice for 4-5 hours.
- Grind the rice to a smooth batter with grated coconut.
- Soften yeast in 1 cup of coconut water for ½ hour.
- Add soften yeast to the above ground batter.
- Add sugar and salt as well.
- Take a pan and heat it.
- Pour a ladle full of batter and gently swirl the pan around such that a thinner layer of batter covers the sides and a thicker falter layer settles in the middle.
- Cover the pan with the lid and cook until the edges are golden and the center portion become soft.
- Take out the Appam from the pan with care and keep it in a serving plate.
- Method: (vegetable stew)
- Take a vessel and put all vegetables, slit green chilies along with water.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Grind the coconut into a fine paste and add to the cooked vegetables in the vessel.
- Boil it for 2 minutes and turn off.
- Pour coconut oil (raw-do not heat) and add curry leaves.
- Mix well.
- For seasoning heat a pan and pour coconut oil.
- Put cloves, sliced shallots, and cardamom.
- Stir till shallots turn golden brown.
- Add this to stew and mix well.