Chinese Fried Walnuts Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.earthboundchronicles.com/2010/10/03/chinese-fried-walnuts-for-the-blogher-2010-food-pity-party/
|Chinese Fried Walnuts Recipe|
- 1 Pound shelled walnuts
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Salt to taste
How to make Chinese Fried Walnuts:
- Place walnuts in a medium stock pot.
- Cover with water and boil for 2 minutes.
- Strain, but do not rinse.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss with sugar, while still hot, until well coated.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a large saucepan, over medium-high heat.
- When oil appears to shimmer, fry 1 nut to test for heat.
- Nut should begin to sizzle immediately.
- Fry 1/3 batch of nuts at a time, for 4 to 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Toss nuts before each batch and repeat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer each batch to a cookie sheet to cool.
- Season to taste, with salt and break apart when cool.
- Chinese Fried Walnuts are ready.