Chuk Waangun Recipe
Photo Credit: https://writesfood.wordpress.com/2010/06/20/happy-fathers-day-and-kashmiri-chuk-wangun-crispy-sweet-and-sour-variation-of-eggplant-pear-curry/
|Chuk Waangun Recipe|
||9.3 / 10 (3 votes)|
- 1/2 kg Brinjals
- 100 gm Tamarind
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup mustard oil
- 2 Cloves
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Aniseed powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder
How to make Chuk Waangun:
- Cut the stem tips and sepals of Brinjals.
- Slice them lengthwise into 4-8 pieces.
- Wash and put in a colander to drain water.
- In the meantime, soak the tamarind in one cup of boiling water.
- Mash it and remove the pulp by straining.
- Heat oil in a 'Kadahi' on medium flame and deep fry the Brinjal slices.
- Fry the slices uniformly till golden brown colour.
- Remove the slices from 'Kadahi'.
- Reduce the flame and add cloves, cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Stir and add red chili powder and turmeric. Pour a tablespoon of water.
- Simmer till oil turns coloured and starts separating.
- Now pour one cup water and add the tamarind pulp, salt, sugar, aniseed and ginger powder.
- Mix well and add the Brinjal slices.
- Simmer again for about 20 minutes. Keep turning the Brinjal slices frequently. Add garam masala when the gravy becomes thick. Mix well.
- Chuk Wangun is ready to serve.