Cuban Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
|Cuban Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe|
||10.0 / 10 (3 votes)|
||Non Veg. |
- 12-14 lb Size turkey
- 8 tbsp Unsalted butter
- Fresh ground pepper as needed
- Salt as needed
- 1 Garlic head, break in cloves and peel
- 1 Cup Lime juice or sour orange juice
- 1 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- 1 -1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Salt
How to make Cuban Thanksgiving Turkey:
- The day before, remove giblets and any lumps of fat from the turkey cavities.
- Rinse the turkey properly and blot dry.
- Season the inside with salt and pepper and loosen the turkey skin from the meat.
- To do this, begin at the neck and tunnel your fingers, then whole hand, under the skin to separate the skin from the breast meat.
- Slide your hand down to loosen the skin over the thighs, drumsticks and back carefully, so as not to tear the skin.
- For the marinade, mash the garlic and salt in a mortar to make a fine paste.
- Add pepper, cumin, oregano and all the lime juice or sour orange juice and puree the ingredients.
- Now add 3 tbsp marinade to the main cavity and 1 tbsp to the neck cavity.
- Put rest of the marinade under the skin and work over a roasting pan to catch any runoff from the marinade.
- Keep the bird in a big plastic bag with any excess marinade and marinate the turkey overnight into the refrigerator, turning some times.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Thinly cut the butter and put half of the slices under the skin.
- Melt rest of the butter.
- Tie the turkey and put it on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up.
- Brush the skin of the turkey with some melted butter.
- Loosely drape a big piece of cheesecloth over the skin and pour rest of the butter and marinade over the cheesecloth.
- Roast it for about 2 hours and baste it with the juices and butter that gather in the pan.
- Lift the cheesecloth from time to time to keep it from sticking to turkey.
- Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and roast for about 1 hour.
- Now again raise the heat to 400 degrees F and take away the cheesecloth from the turkey.
- Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes, basting often.
- When cooked, the skin will turn to golden and the leg juices will run clear when pierce with a fork.
- The internal temperature should be 185 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer and the drumstick should loose when wiggled.
- Shift the turkey to a tray or cutting board.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes before carving.
- Now strain the pan juices and serve it on the side.