Danish Julekage Recipe
|Danish Julekage Recipe|
||30 Minutes |
||50 Minutes |
||Non Veg. |
- 2 (0.25 ounce) packages active dry Yeast
- ¼ cup Warm Water (105 to 115 °F)
- 2 cups Warm Milk (110 to 115 °F)
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Butter/ Margarine (softened)
- 1 tbsp Shortening
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cardamom (ground)
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 8½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Candied Fruit (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Butter/ Margarine (melted)
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Cardamom (ground)
- 2 tbsp cold Butter/ Margarine
How to make Danish Julekage:
- Combine yeast and warm water in a mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast.
- Add milk, sugar, butter, shortening, salt, cardamom, eggs and 4 cups flour. Beat the mixture till it turns smooth.
- Add raisins, candied fruit and enough flour to form soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead till it is smooth and elastic, for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and turn it to coat all the sides.
- Cover the dough and allow it to rise till it has doubled, for about 1¼ hours.
- Punch the dough and turn it to a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
- Roll each dough piece into a 12x9x12 inch log.
- Combine butter and sugar together.
- Place the filling in the center of the log and roll the dough starting with the long side pinching the seams to seal. Tuck the ends under.
- Repeat with the other dough piece.
- Grease 2 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- Place the loaves in the loaf pans. Cover the pans and let the loaves rise for 45 minutes till they double in size.
- Prepare the topping by mixing sugar, flour and cardamom.
- Cut in butter and mix till it forms coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the loaves.
- Bake the loaves at 350 °F (175 °C) for 50 to 60 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- Remove and cool on wire racks.