Finnish Rye Bread Recipe
|Finnish Rye Bread Recipe|
||180 Minutes |
||60 Minutes |
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast
- 1¼ cups Warm Potato Water (105-115 °F)
- 1 tbsp Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 1¼ cups Medium Rye Flour
- 1½ to 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- Butter (softened)
How to make Finnish Rye Bread:
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm potato water.
- Add brown sugar, vegetable oil, salt and 1 cup of rye flour. Beat until the mixture turns smooth.
- Add enough all-purpose flour to form dough that is easy to handle.
- Sprinkle a smooth surface with rye flour and turn the dough to the surface.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes, till it is smooth and elastic.
- Grease a baking bowl with butter.
- Place the dough in the bowl and turn the greased side facing up.
- Cover it and keep it in a warm place, to let it rise to double its size, say for about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough and shape it into a round, flat loaf.
- Grease a 9 x 1½ inch round pan with butter.
- Place the loaf in the pan and cover it to let it rise till double, for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F and bake the loaf for 40 to 50 minutes, until it sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan and brush the top with butter.
- Cool on a wire rack.