Gefilte fish Recipe
|Gefilte fish Recipe|
||10.0 / 10 (1 vote)|
||Non Veg. |
- 7 Pounds whole Carp, Whitefish, and Pike, filleted and grinded
- 6 Cups Cold water
- 3 tsp Salt or to taste
- 3 Onions, peeled
- 4 Medium carrots, peeled
- 2 tbsp Sugar or to taste
- 1 Small parsnip, chopped (optional)
- 3 to 4 Large eggs
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 Cup matzah meal
How to make Gefilte fish:
- Place the reserved bones, skin, and fish heads in a wide, very large saucepan with a cover.
- Add the 4 cups water and 2 tsp of the salt and bring to a boil. Remove the foam that accumulates.
- Slice 1 onion in rounds and add along with 3 of the carrots.
- Add the sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes while the fish mixture is being prepared.
- Place the grinded fish in a bowl.
- In a food processor finely chop the remaining onions, the remaining carrot, and the parsnip; or mince them by hand.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the ground fish.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, the remaining teaspoon of salt, pepper, and the cold water, and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in enough matzah meal to make a light, soft mixture into oval shapes, about 3 inches long.
- Take the last fish head and stuff the cavity with the grinded fish mixture.
- Remove from the saucepan the onions, skins, head, and bones and return the stock to a simmer. Gently place the fish patties in the simmering fish stock.
- Cover loosely and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Taste the liquid while the fish is cooking and add seasoning to taste.
- Shake the pot periodically so that fish patties don't stick.
- Garnish fish patties with carrots.
- Gefilte fish is ready.