German Apple-Onion Soup Recipe
|German Apple-Onion Soup Recipe|
||15 Minutes |
||75 Minutes |
|Calories Per Serving
- 2 pounds Onions (halved and thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1 (49.5 fluid oz) can Chicken Broth
- 1 (14 oz) can Beef Consommé
- 1 (12 fluid oz) can frozen Apple Juice Concentrate (thawed)
- 2 cups Apple Juice
- ¼ cup Applejack Brandy/ Calvados
- 1 pinch White Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Granny Smith Apple (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
How to make German Apple-Onion Soup:
- Separate ½ cup onions to be used later for garnishing.
- Place a large pot on medium heat and melt butter.
- Add onion and sauté till it softens and turns translucent, for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, beef consommé, apple juice concentrate, apple juice and applejack brandy. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture on simmer on medium-high heat and add white pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Place some reserved onions in a soup bowl.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and float some apple slices on top.
- Serve hot.