German Bread Potato Dumplings Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.food.com/recipe/kartoffelkloesse-german-potato-dumplings-59894
|German Bread Potato Dumplings Recipe|
||20 Minutes |
||40 Minutes |
|Calories Per Serving
- 1½ lbs Russet Potatoes (about 2 large)
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg (ground)
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 cup Cornstarch
- 1 large Egg
- 2 slices White Bread
- 1 tbsp Butter (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp Corn Oil or Vegetable Oil
How to make German Bread Potato Dumplings:
- Trim off the crusts of the white bread and set them aside.
- Cut the bread slices into ½-inch cubes.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan.
- Fry the bread cubes in the oil till golden brown.
- Remove and dry on paper towels.
- Boil water in a large pot, along with some salt.
- Scrub the potatoes and cook them in the salted water for about 45 minutes till tender.
- Drain the potatoes and cool them slightly.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into large pieces.
- Now, refrigerate them for around 30 minutes till they turn cold.
- Remove and mash the potatoes using a fork or run them through a ricer into a large bowl.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with salt and nutmeg.
- Add flour and cornstarch.
- Knead the mixture to form smooth dough. Add flour, if required.
- Break the egg into the dough and mix well.
- Roll the dough into walnut-size balls.
- Place a bread cube in each dough ball and roll the dumpling between palms to enclose the bread cube. Form smooth balls.
- Place water in a large pot, along with salt and put it on fire.
- When the water is near boiling, add the dumplings and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or till they rise to the top.
- Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cover them with a damp kitchen towel, till all the dumplings are done.
- Serve hot.