Irish Beef Stew Recipe
|Irish Beef Stew Recipe|
||Non Veg. |
- 1½ kg Stewing Beef (cut into cubes)
- 175g Streaky Bacon
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 12 Baby Onions (peeled)
- 18 button Mushrooms
- 3 Carrots (cut into quarters)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Thyme (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Parsley (chopped)
- 10 cloves Garlic (crushed, grated)
- 425ml Red Wine
- 425ml Chicken or Beef Stock
- For the Roux
- 50gm Butter
- 50gm Flour
How to make Irish Beef Stew:
- Take a little olive oil in a hot casserole and sauté the beef and bacon in it.
- Now remove the meat and toss in the onions, mushrooms and carrots, one ingredient at a time, seasoning each time.
- Place these back in the casserole, along with the herbs and garlic.
- Cover with red wine and stock and simmer for one hour or until the meat and vegetables are cooked.
- To make the roux, take a pan and heat it over medium flame. Add butter and flour to it and cook for 2 minutes.
- When the stew is cooked, remove the meat and vegetables.
- Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and add 1 tbsp of roux. Whisk the mixture until the roux is broken up and the juices have thickened, allow boiling.
- Replace the meat and vegetables, and taste for seasoning.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley and serve.