Karjalan Pies Recipe
|Karjalan Pies Recipe|
||50 Minutes |
||15 Minutes |
|Calories Per Serving
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup White Rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups Milk
- Salt (to taste)
- ½ cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Rye Flour
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour (or as needed)
- 3 tbsp Butter (melted)
How to make Karjalan Pies:
- Place a saucepan on medium flame and combine rice and water.
- Boil the water and reduce the flame.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes till the water is absorbed.
- Add milk and cook till it is absorbed by the rice for about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and stir well.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F (220 °C).
- Mix salt and rye flour in a medium bowl.
- Add water and stir well.
- Add the flour, 1 tbsp at a time, till the dough reaches the sticky stage.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll each dough portion into a thin circle measuring 6 inches in diameter.
- Place 3 tbsp of the rice mixture in the center of each circle.
- Spread out the mixture leaving 1 inch of the edges.
- Fold the edges of the dough upwards and crimp them to allow the pastries hold their shape.
- Pinch the sides at each end to form a boat.
- Repeat with the remaining dough portions and rice mixture.
- Place the pastries 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the pastries with butter.
- Bake the pastries for 10 to 15 minutes till the dough turns firm and the rice porridge is slightly brown on the top.
- Remove and serve warm.