Photo Credit: http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/08/kolache/
||125 Minutes |
||50 Minutes |
||Non Veg. |
|Calories Per Serving
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 packets Yeast
- ½ cup Warm Water
- 2 cups Milk
- ¾ cup Shortening
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 7 cups Sifted Flour
- 2 sticks Melted Butter
- Fruit Filling
How to make Kolache:
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water (approximately 115 degrees Fahrenheit) after sprinkling it with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Leave this aside to rise.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and dissolve the shortening in it.
- Allow the milk to cool and then add sugar and salt as well as the egg yolks, slightly beaten.
- Add the yeast mixture to the milk-egg mixture.
- Gradually, add flour and work the dough until it is glossy and just a little sticky.
- Cover the dough and place is in a warm place which is free from drafts. Let the dough rise for about an hour, until it is double in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and knead it slightly.
- Divide the dough into small balls, each being the size of an egg.
- In well-buttered baking pan, place these dough-balls about an inch apart. Butter these dough balls after placing them in the pan.
- Let the dough rise again for around 15 minutes and then make small indentations in them for the fruit filling.
- Fill each indentation with fruit filling and butter each kolache well.
- Place the pans in a draft-free place again, and leave it to rise again for about an hour, until each kolache is double in bulk.
- Place this in an oven which has been pre-heated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and hake until golden brown. This should happen in 20 to 40 minutes. Check on it frequently to ensure that it doesn't burn.
- Remove the kolaches from the over and coat them with melted butter.