Lamb Dhansak Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.littleindia.co.nz/lamb-dhansak.html
|Lamb Dhansak Recipe|
||4.3 / 10 (4 votes)|
||Non Veg. |
- 100 g Red Lentils
- 500 g Butternut Squash (peeled and chopped into chunks)
- 2 Onions (roughly chopped)
- 400 g chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1½ tsp Coriander Seeds
- 4 Cardamom Pods (squashed)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 400 g lean diced Lamb
- Thumb-sized piece of root Ginger (finely chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 2-3 Green Chilies (sliced)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Small bunch of Coriander (chopped)
How to make Lamb Dhansak:
- Combine lentils, butternut squash, onions, and tomatoes in a large saucepan.
- Add turmeric and salt.
- Pour water, enough to cover the contents.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils turn tender.
- Dry roast cumin, coriander, and cardamom in a small pan, until you can smell the aroma.
- Remove and grind to a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a separate pan and add lamb pieces in small batches. Brown on all sides and transfer in a large plate.
- Add the ground spices in the same pan. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, and green chilies. Mix and cook for few minutes.
- Add lamb pieces and cooked lentils, squash, onions, and tomatoes. Pour 200 ml water and stir well.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover and cook for another 30 minutes, until the lamb turns soft and sauce thickens.
- Sprinkle garam masala and coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and chapattis.