Mee Rebus is popular in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. Learn how to make/prepare Mee Rebus by following this easy recipe.
Mee Rebus Recipe
9.9 / 10 (
• 1-1/2 lb Fresh yellow egg or chowmein noodles
• 6 Cups beef stock
• 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
• 3 Candlenuts
• 2 tbsp Chili paste
• 1 tbsp Coriander powder
• 1/2 Inch turmeric root
• 1 Inch fresh galangal
• 20 Shallots
• 2-4 Small sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
• Salt to taste
For Garnishing: • 10 Shallots, thinly sliced and fried golden brown
• 4 Pre-fried tofu or soy bean cakes, cut into small cubes
• 2-3 Dried squids, reconstituted in water or fresh squid cleaned, boiled and cut into rings or bite size
• 4 Cups bean sprouts, briefly blanched
• 4-6 Prawn fritters or crackers, fried and broken into small pieces
• 3-4 Hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges
• 2 Potatoes, peeled boiled, sliced
• 3-4 Limau kasturi, cut into halves
• 4 Fresh red Serrano chilies, thinly sliced
How to make Mee Rebus:
Grind candlenuts, chili paste, turmeric root, shallots, galangal and coriander powder into a fine paste.
Heat pot on medium flame, add vegetable oil.
Cook paste until quite toasted.
Add about 5-1/2 cups beef stock, bring it to a boil.
Slowly add the mashed potato to the stock, till a gravy-like consistency is reached.
Add salt , decrease the heat to low, simmer gently 8 to10 minutes, add more mashed sweet potato if gravy is too thin or more beef stock if the gravy is too thick, keep gravy hot on the low-medium heat, for serving.
Take an another pot, pour about 6 cups water, bring it to a boil, for blanching bean sprouts and warming up noodles.
Blanch a handful of bean sprouts in the warm water, dish into a soup-plate.
Now put a serving portion of noodles in the sieve, dunk in the warm water briefly to warm up and top it on the bean sprouts.
A hindu by religion. Can I use chicken stock instead of beef stock Thank you. Submitted by: Teresa Lauzar
posted : 19-Jan-2014 09:33 AM
I followed the method and it turned out excellent.....just as I had remembered the taste many, many, many years ago.....it brought back memroies of the seller making this dish.....fantastic Submitted by: Karl Ambrose
posted : 27-Feb-2011 08:30 AM
Indobase has a vast collection of lip-smacking nutritious recipes. These quick and easy recipes will help you prepare healthy, wholesome meal for both kids and adults. For calorie conscious people we have a special category of microwave recipes to help prepare low cal and low fat cuisine. Enjoy tasty and delicious food by trying out our variety of recipes.