Menudo Rojo Recipe
|Menudo Rojo Recipe|
|Rating||3.0 / 10 (1 vote)|
|Recipe Type||Non Veg.|
- 3 Gallons water, divided
- 2-1/2 Pounds beef tripe, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Large white onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tbsp Dried oregano
- 2 tbsp Ground red pepper
- 5 De Arbol chile peppers
- 6 Japones chile peppers, seeds removed
- 6 Cups canned white or yellow hominy, drained
- 1/2 White onion, chopped
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Limes, juiced
How to make Menudo Rojo:
- In a large pot, bring 1 gallon water to a boil.
- Place tripe in the pot, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
- Periodically skim off fat with a spoon. Drain water, reduce heat, and pour in a fresh gallon of water.
- Continue to simmer tripe for 2 hours; drain.
- Pour remaining 1 gallon water into the pot with tripe, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in garlic and 1 white onion. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Arrange the de arbol chile peppers on a baking sheet, and broil about 2 minutes, just until they begin to scorch.
- Remove from heat, slit lengthwise, and remove seeds.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the de arbol chile peppers and japones chile peppers until very finely chopped.
- Mix into the pot, and continue cooking 2 hours over low heat.
- Mix the hominy into the pot. Continue cooking 1 hour. Serve with remaining onion, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Menudo Rojo is ready.