Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
Photo Credit: http://diycraftsrecipes.com/bon-appetits-mulligatawny-soup-chicken/
|Mulligatawny Soup Recipe|
||10.0 / 10 (1 vote)|
||Non Veg. |
- 2 Finely minced medium garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1-1/2 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 Peeled medium garlic cloves
- 7 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 2 Medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- Plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 Inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 Medium celery rib, chopped coarse
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Minced fresh cilantro leaves
How to make Mulligatawny Soup:
- Blend 2 tsp of the grated ginger, 2 peeled whole garlic cloves, and 1/4 cup water in a blender until smooth. It takes about 25 seconds to blend.
- Set the mixture aside in the blender jar.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven until foaming. Add the tomato paste and onions. Fry stirring occasionally. Cook until the onions turn soft and begin to brown.
- Add the coconut, stir and cook for a minute.
- Add the remaining 2-1/2 tsp ginger, minced garlic, cumin, curry powder, flour, and cayenne. Stir well to mix properly.
- Slowly add the chicken broth whisking the mixture constantly and vigorously.
- Add carrots and celery to the pot. Raise the flame to medium-high and bring the mixture to boil. Put a lid and reduce the flame to low. Cook until the vegetables become tender. It takes about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in the blender. Use batches of soup with the ginger and garlic. Blend until very smooth. Wash and dry the pot.
- Transfer the pureed soup to the pot again and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the soup over medium flame until hot.
- Pour the soup into individual bowls, Add a spoonful of the yogurt over each bowl. Garnish with the chopped cilantro leaves and serve immediately.