Nasi Biryani Recipe
|Nasi Biryani Recipe|
|Rating||7.4 / 10 (10 votes)|
|Recipe Type||Non Veg.|
- 2 lb Lamb or chicken, cut into fairly large chunks
- 2 Cups plain yoghurt
- 2 Cups basmati rice
- 2-3 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup almonds, thinly sliced
- A few saffron threads
- 4 tbsp Golden raisins
- 2 tbsp Warm milk
- 2 Cups water
- 1 Cup ghee
- Salt to taste
- 2 Medium onions, sliced
- 2 tsp Poppy seeds
- 1 Sprig fresh mint leaves
- 4 Green cardamoms seeds
- 4 Cloves
- 6 Cloves garlic
- 1 Inch cinnamon stick, broken up
- 4 Inch ginger, sliced
How to make Nasi Biryani:
- To Marinade:
- Grind cloves, poppy seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamoms, onions, ginger, mint leaves and garlic to make a fine paste.
- Combine yoghurt and chili powder with the ground paste, mix well.
- Add this with meat, coat well
- Marinate meat for about 2 hours, best overnight in the refrigerator.
To Prepare Lamb:
- Heat wok, and add 3-4 tbsp ghee.
- Fry the thinly sliced onions until light golden brown.
- Remove, drain on paper towels.
- Apply the same process for the thinly sliced almonds, keep aside.
- To the same wok, add chopped onions and fry till light brown.
- Add the marinated lamb and cook until brown.
- Add water, and salt to taste.
- Bring it to a boil, decrease the heat to medium-low heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stir occasionally.
- If it starts to dry up too much add a little water.
To Prepare Saffron Rice:
- Wash rice in cold water, at least 3 times.
- Drain well and keep aside for about 20 minutes.
- In a wok, heat 3-4 tbsp ghee to medium-high, fry the rice till the rice grains look translucent, for about 10 to12 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat, add salt, mix well and keep aside.
Layering the Lamb Biryani Rice:
- Take a large ovenproof casserole and add a layer of one third of the rice, followed by a layer of cooked lamb about half the lamb and a few tbsp of the sauce from the lamb.
- Sprinkle a third of the fried onions, raisins, fried almonds and a few drops of saffron threads that have been mixed with the milk.
- Make a second layer of rice and add the rest of the lamb, a third of the fried onions, raisins, almonds, a few tbsp of the lamb sauce and a few drops of the saffron and milk.
- Add the final layer, of rice and rest of the saffron and milk.
- Sprinkle 3 to 4 tbsp of melted ghee on the top.
- Add sufficient water, till the water level is about 1/2 inch above the top of the rice
- Now cover the casserole with a tight fitting lid or heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Place the casserole in a preheated 450F oven, cook for about 45 minutes, till the rice is cooked.
- With a long wooden chopstick, fluff up the rice.
- Garnish it with a few sprigs of mint leaves and the rest of fried onions, raisins and almonds.