Norwegian Christmas Bread Recipe
|Norwegian Christmas Bread Recipe|
||25 Minutes |
||30 Minutes |
||Non Veg. |
- 1 (0.25 ounce) package active dry Yeast
- 1 cup Warm Water (110 to 115 °F)
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup Butter/ Margarine, softened
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cardamom (ground)
- 3¾ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Raisins
- ½ cup Citron/ Mixed Candied Fruit (diced)
How to make Norwegian Christmas Bread:
- Combine together yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast.
- Add sugar, egg, butter, salt, cardamom and 2 cups of flour. Mix well.
- Add in raisins, candied fruit and enough flour to form soft dough. Mix well.
- Turn the dough on a floured surface and knead till it turns smooth and elastic, for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough in a greased bowl and turn to coat all the sides.
- Cover the bowl and allow it to rise for about 1 hour in a warm place.
- Punch the dough and divide it into half.
- Shape each portion into a flattened ball.
- Place the two loaves in 2 greased 9-inch round baking pans.
- Cover the pans and let the loaves rise until doubled in warm place, for about 1 hour.
- Bake the loaves at 350 °F (175 °C) for 30 to 35 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.