Panchmel Dal Recipe
Photo Credit: http://mareena16.rssing.com/chan-22049726/all_p1.html
|Panchmel Dal Recipe|
||10 Minutes |
||40 Minutes |
- 1/3 cup Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram)
- 1/3 cup Toovar Dal (Arhar)
- 1/3 cup Green Moong Dal (Split Green Gram)
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal (Split Black Lentils)
- 1 tbsp Whole Moong (Whole Green Gram)
- 3 tsp Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 2 Bay Leaves (Tejpatta)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Green Chilies (slit)
- A pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 tsp Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)
- 2 tsp Tamarind Pulp (Imli)
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
How to make Panchmel Dal:
- Start with cleaning the dals and put them in the pressure cooker.
- Add 4 cups of water and let the dals cook, till the cooker whistles 2- 3 times. The dals should be thoroughly cooked.
- Now, take a bowl and add chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and coriander powder, with 3 tbsp of water in it. Blend well and keep it aside.
- Take a deep pan and add ghee to it. Let it heat.
- When the ghee gets hot, add cloves, cumin seeds, green chilies, cloves, bay leaves and asafetida.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add the masala paste prepared earlier and mix it well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked dal to the mixture and put tamarind pulp, amchur, and salt in it.
- Turn the knob of the stove on simmer for 5- 7 minutes. Add water to it, as per your liking and preferred thickness.
- Serve hot with chapattis.