Pineapple Galette Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.cakeyboi.com/2015/03/mango-pineapple-galette-with-limed.html
|Pineapple Galette Recipe|
||130 Minutes |
||30 Minutes |
||Non Veg. |
|Calories Per Serving
- For Crust
- 1-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 3/4 stick (6 tbsp) Cold, Unsalted Butter (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tbsp Cold Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 to 4 tbsp Ice Water
- 1 Pineapple (quartered lengthwise, cored, and peeled)
- 2 tbsp Fine Semolina Flour
- 2-1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 large Egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup Pineapple Preserves
- 1 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
How to make Pineapple Galette:
- Blend together flour, butter, shortening, and salt in a bowl, with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor), just until most of mixture resembles coarse meal, with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons ice water evenly over the mixture and gently stir with a fork (or pulse in food processor), until incorporated.
- Gently squeeze a small handful. If dough doesn't hold together, add more ice water, 1/2 tbsp at a time, stirring (or pulsing) until incorporated. Do not overwork dough, or the pastry will be tough.
- Turn out dough onto a floured work surface and divide into 4 portions.
- With the heel of your hand, smear each portion once in a forward motion, to help distribute fat.
- Gather dough together with scraper and press into a ball, and then flatten into a disk, rotating on work surface.
- Let it chill, wrapped in plastic wrap for at least 1 hour or until firm.
For Filling & Galette
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut pineapple crosswise, into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Roll out dough into a 14-inch round on a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin.
- Transfer carefully to a large baking sheet without sides.
- Mix semolina flour and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Arrange pineapple slices on top of dough, in overlapping concentric circles. (You will probably have a few slices left over.)
- Fold edge of pastry over outer row of pineapple, pleating dough to fit.
- Brush pastry with beaten egg, then sprinkle remaining 1-1/2 tbsp sugar over pastry and pineapple.
For Baking & Glazing Galette
- Bake in middle of oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until pineapple is lightly browned and pastry is golden.
- Cool on baking sheet on a rack.
- Melt preserves with lemon juice, stirring, in a small saucepan over low heat
- Pour into a small bowl, through a fine sieve, pressing on solids.
- Discard solids and brush preserves over filling while galette is cooling.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serve With Vanilla Ice Cream