Portuguese Sweet Bread Recipe
|Portuguese Sweet Bread Recipe|
||15 Minutes |
||60 Minutes |
||Non Veg. |
- 4½ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- ½ cup warm Potato Water
- 1¾ cups (plus 3 tbsp) Sugar
- 1 cup mashed Potatoes
- 1/8 tsp Ginger
- ½ cup scalded hot Milk
- 2 tsp Salt
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Butter/Margarine (melted)
- 8-10 cups Flour
How to make Portuguese Sweet Bread:
- Combine yeast with warm potato water and stir to dissolve.
- Mix in 3 tbsp sugar, potatoes, and ginger together in a medium bowl. Cover and let rise until double.
- Add salt to the milk and cool until lukewarm.
- Beat eggs, one by one, and then beat together with 1¾ cups sugar until well blended.
- Add to the yeast mixture.
- Combine butter, followed by milk and 2 cups flour. Mix thoroughly until completely integrated.
- Add 2 more cups flour and beat for 5 minutes. Add more flour, until you get stiff dough.
- Knead for about 8-10 minutes on a lightly floured board until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a buttered bowl, cover and let it rise until double.
- Divide the dough into four parts. Shape each part into a loaf and place in buttered loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove and serve with stews or curries.