Rubies in Coconut Milk Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/tab-tim-grob-rubies-in-coconut-milk/
|Rubies in Coconut Milk Recipe|
||15 Minutes |
||15 Minutes |
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 can Water Chestnuts
- 1/4 cup Water
- Sugar to taste
- A few drops Red Food Coloring
- 1/3 cup Coconut Milk
How to make Rubies in Coconut Milk:
- Remove about half of the chestnuts from the can, say 10-15 pieces. Use fresh water chestnuts if you like, but then you will have to peel them before you use them.
- Slice each chestnut into half, making two round disks. Make two cuts into the two disks so that you get six equal sized pieces. Set these chestnut pieces into a bowl and add a few drops of the red food coloring along with a teaspoon of water and mix well. If you would like to use other natural food coloring, you could also go for beet juice that you get after boiling beetroot.
- Drain the chestnuts of any juice. Put tapioca flour in a big bowl. Drop the chestnuts in and shake the bowl around to coat the chestnuts with flour. Scoop the chestnuts into a strainer and sieve them to get rid of any excess flour that might be sticking to them. Put it into another bowl. Put the chestnuts back in the flour bowl. Coat them with flour again.
- Bring a pot of water to boil; the moment it begins to boil, drop in the water chestnuts. The cooked rubies will float and leave a beautiful colour when done. Scoop them up in a strainer and dump them in ice water.
- In a small cup add sugar and water to make syrup. Microwave the cup for 3-4 minutes depending on your microwave.
- Divide the rubies into equal amounts and set in two bowls, removing all the water from them. Add half of the coconut milk and half of the syrup to make one serving. Serve with crushed ice in the summer time.