Sindhi Channa Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.bawarchi.com/recipe/masaledar-sindhi-chole-oetoJrdbbigag.html
|Sindhi Channa Recipe|
||20 Minutes |
||45 Minutes |
- 2 cup Chickpeas (Kabuli Channa)
- 4 Onions
- 3 Tomato, grated
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Coriander Seed Powder (dhania)
- 1 tsp Garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp Asafoetida (hing)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 10 Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 7 Clove (lavang)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Coriander, finely chopped
- 2 black Cardamom
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder (kali mirch)
- 1 tsp Amchoor Powder (dried mango)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (jeera)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
How to make Sindhi Channa:
- Wash and soak chickpeas in plenty of water, a night before preparing it.
- In the morning, drain the water, transfer chickpeas to the pressure cooker and add put 4 to 5 cups of water to cooker.
- Slice the onions and add it to the pressure cooker along with bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, salt and cardamoms.
- On simmer flame, let the chickpeas to cook till they are tender. It will take approximately 30- 40 minutes to cook completely.
- When cooked; cool and drain it and then separate channa, water and whole spices. Keep them aside.
- Now, wash and peel the remaining three onions; chop one onion and make a puree of the remaining two onions.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat oil in it.
- When oil is hot, put cumin seeds and asafoetida in it. When the seeds start to crackle, put ginger, garlic, sliced onion and fry till the onion is light brown.
- Now, add pureed onions, tomato puree, turmeric powder, amchoor powder, black pepper powder, garam masala powder and coriander seed powder in it and saute for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Follow the procedure by adding drained water in it and allow it to boil for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and salt in it and stir fry it till the gravy is thick.
- Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves with wedges of lemon and serve hot with puris.