Sour Rye Soup Recipe
|Sour Rye Soup Recipe|
||Non Veg. |
- For Kwas
- 75 g Wholemeal Rye Flour
- 600 ml Water (boiled and cooled)
- ¼ clove Garlic (chopped)
- 1.25 liter Stock (from vegetables or beef/chicken bones)
- 100 g Bacon (chopped)
- 100 g Onion (chopped)
- 1 can Mushrooms
- 400 ml Kwas
- 300 ml Sour Cream
- 5 medium Potatoes (cooked and diced)
- 100 g smoked Sausage (diced)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
How to make Sour Rye Soup:
- Take an earthenware jar or non-aluminum container and rinse it with boiling water, to avoid the kwas reacting with the aluminum.
- Add rye flour to the jar and mix with a little boiled water, to form a liquid paste.
- Allow the mixture to settle for a few minutes.
- Pour in the remaining boiled water.
- Add the chopped garlic and cover the jar with muslin or pierced cling film.
- Set the jar in a warm place for 4 to 5 days, to allow it to ferment.
- Strain the liquid and store in an airtight container.
- Pour the stock in a large saucepan and put it for heating.
- Add bacon and onion to the stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, kwas and sour cream. Stir well.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and smoked sausage. Boil the soup.
- Serve hot.