Southern Candied Sweet Potato Recipe
|Southern Candied Sweet Potato Recipe|
||15 Minutes |
||20 Minutes |
|Calories Per Serving
- 6 large Sweet Potatoes
- 250 g Butter
- 600 g White Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Salt, to taste
How to make Southern Candied Sweet Potato:
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into slices.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a heavy skillet and add the sliced sweet potatoes.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Cover the sweet potatoes with sugar mixture and stir. Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 hour or until potatoes are "candied".
- NOTE: The potatoes should be tender but a little hard around the edges. Also, the sauce will turn dark; you will need to stir occasionally during the cooking.
- Stir in the vanilla just before serving. Serve hot.