||20 Minutes |
||35 Minutes |
||Non Veg. |
- 2 slices thick, dense Bread (crusts removed)
- ½ cup dry Red Wine
- 1 lb ground lean Meat (beef or veal)
- ½ cup finely chopped Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp chopped Parsley
- 2 tbsp grated Kefalograviera/Parmesan Cheese
- ½ tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Flour (for coating)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
For the Sauce:
- 2 lbs fresh Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Garlic Clove (chopped)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¾ tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground Cloves
How to make Soutzoukakia:
- Soak bread in wine. Squeeze out the bread and reserve the wine.
- Combine the soaked bread with ground meat.
- Mix onion, garlic, egg, parsley, cheese, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Divide and shape the mixture into oval shaped balls.
- Coat the balls in flour.
- Heat olive oil in a non-sticky pan and fry the balls on medium-low heat until golden brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add all the contents for preparing the sauce in the same oil along with the reserved wine.
- Simmer on low heat until the sauce turns thick.
- Toss in the fried balls, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with steamed rice.