Spinach Appam Recipe
Photo Credit: http://www.funandfoodcafe.com/appam-recipe-kerala-style/
|Spinach Appam Recipe|
||15 Minutes |
||15 Minutes |
- 1¾ cups Raw Rice
- ½ tbsp Tomato Puree
- ½ tbsp Spinach Puree
- ½ cup Cooked Rice
- 1 Coconut
- ½ tsp Yeast
- Oil (for cooking)
- Salt (to taste)
How to make Spinach Appam:
- In a large bowl, wash and soak the raw rice for around 2 to 3 hours and then drain the water.
- Using a grater, grate the coconut and add 2 cups of water in it. Now, squeeze the coconut, to take out the milk and strain well.
- Grind both the raw and the cooked rice in a little coconut milk. Add sugar to the paste and mix well.
- To the above paste, add the remaining coconut milk and add some salt to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yeast and a little warm water. To this, add the rice paste and blend well. Check for the thickness of the paste, as the batter should have a dropping consistency.
- Cover the bowl and keep it aside for a period of about 3 to 4 hours. After this, add the spinach puree and the tomato puree to the batter.
- For making the appam, heat a non-stick tava over a medium flame and grease it.
- Using a big spoon, pour some of the batter over the tava and slowly rotate it, till a thin layer is formed on the sides, with the middle portion thick.
- Cover the appam and allow it to cook for sometime or till the middle portion becomes fluffy.
- In this way, make appam from the remaining batter and serve hot.