Sugar Zwieback Recipe
|Sugar Zwieback Recipe|
|Calories Per Serving
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Butter (cut into pieces)
- ¼ cup Honey
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2/3 cup White Sugar
- 1 (0.25 ounce) package active dry Yeast
- ¼ cup Warm Water
- 1 Egg
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Nutmeg (freshly grated)
How to make Sugar Zwieback:
- Pour milk in a small saucepan and heat it till starts to bubble up.
- Remove from heat and add in butter, honey and salt. Mix and set it aside to cool.
- Reserving 2 tsp of sugar, add the remaining to the milk mixture. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Combine yeast and warm water in a large bowl. Leave it aside for 5 minutes till the yeast softens.
- Add the cooled milk mixture, egg, flour and nutmeg into the yeast mixture. Beat well.
- Knead the dough, adding more flour if required. Mix to form smooth, soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions.
- Place the balls on lightly greased cookie sheets 4 inches apart.
- Pat the balls into 4 inches roundels.
- Brush the tops of the balls with water and sprinkle the reserved sugar.
- Cover the balls with kitchen towels lightly and set aside for 1 hour till they double up in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Bake the balls for 30 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool them for 10 to 15 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Cut each roundel into 6 ½-inch slices.
- Place the slices on cookie sheets, with the cut sides down.
- Bake for further 5 minutes.
- Turn the slices and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes till they are golden brown on both sides.
- Turn the oven off and leave the slices in unopened oven for 45 minutes.