Sweet and Sour Tofu Recipe
Photo Credit: http://panlasangpinoy.com/2012/08/19/sweet-and-sour-tofu-recipe/
|Sweet and Sour Tofu Recipe|
||20 Minutes |
||15 Minutes |
|Calories Per Serving
- 1 (20 ounce) can Pineapple Chunks or Tidbits (packed in juice)
- 3 tbsp Rice-wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) package Extra-firm Water-packed Tofu (drained, rinsed and cut into ½-inch cubes)
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil (divided)
- 2 tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (minced)
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper (cut into ½-by-2-inch strips)
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper (cut into ½-by-2-inch strips)
How to make Sweet and Sour Tofu:
- Drain the pineapple and keep aside, reserving ¼ cup of the juice.
- Combine together reserved pineapple juice, rice-wine vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk well until smooth.
- Place the tofu cubes in another bowl and toss with 3 tablespoons of the sauce. Leave it aside for marinating for at least 5 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Add cornstarch to the remaining sauce and stir well until smooth.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium-high flame and heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in it.
- Add the marinated tofu and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally till golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining marinade in the bowl back to the sauce.
- Add remaining canola oil to the skillet and heat again.
- Add garlic and ginger. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add red and green bell peppers. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the sauce and cook until thickened, say for about 30 seconds.
- Finally, add the tofu cubes and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring gently until heated through well.