Photo Credit: http://www.kothamally.com/recipes/konchu-theeyal/
||10.0 / 10 (4 votes)|
- 1/2 Cup grated coconut
- 1 Cup baby onions
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Pinch asafoetida
- 7 Red chillies
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 7-8 Black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- Water as needed
- 3 tbsp Oil
How to make Theeyal:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan and fry coconut until light brown.
- Add 5 red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns and fry until it produce an aroma.
- Combine the turmeric powder with it and stir-fry for about 2-3 seconds.
- Let it cool and then grind it to make a coarse powder, set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and rest of the red chillies.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add asafoetida and onions to it and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Combine the ground masala powder with it and cook for few seconds.
- Add water, tamarind paste, salt and sugar to it and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and Simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve theeyal with steamed rice.