Tomato Kootu Recipe
Photo Credit: https://anubhavati.wordpress.com/category/side-dishes-for-rotisdosas-naan/poriyals-kootu-varieties/
|Tomato Kootu Recipe|
||8.5 / 10 (4 votes)|
- 4-5 Tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup split green gram dal (mung)
- 1/4 tsp Split black gram dal (urad)
- 1-1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chilies
- 1-2 tsp Fresh coconut, grated (optional)
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
How to make Tomato Kootu:
- Put tomatoes in boiling water and leave it for 5-7 minutes until tomatoes become soft.
- Remove the tomatoes and let them cool.
- Peel off the skin and keep aside.
- Pour 2 cups of water in a pot.
- Add green gram dal and boil well until dal becomes soft.
- Drain the excess water from boiled dal.
- Grind green chilies, 1-1/4 of cumin seeds, 2-3 curry leaves and coconut together into a paste.
- In a shallow pan, put tomatoes and add turmeric, salt, and curry leaves.
- Boil the contents for 8 minutes.
- When done, add boiled dal & ground paste.
- Mix well and boil again on low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Take off heat and keep aside.
- In a small pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they start to crackle, add 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, split black gram, 3-4 curry leaves and asafoetida.
- When dal turns slightly brown, take off fire.
- Add this seasoning to the prepared tomato mixture.
- Serve hot with rice.