Vegetable Vindaloo Recipe
|Vegetable Vindaloo Recipe|
|Rating||1.2 / 10 (6 votes)|
- 1 lb Mixed vegetables (zucchini, carrots, green pepper, cauliflower, etc)
- 3/4 Cup peanut oil or sunflower oil
- 6 Cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
- 3/4-1 lb potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 -1/4 to1- 1/2 lb Onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1-1/2 tbsp Minced fresh ginger
- 2 Hot green chilies, trimmed and chopped, seeds included
- 1-1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste
- 1- 1/2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Whole cardamom seeds
- 1/8 tsp Ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tbsp Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Salt to taste
- 2/3 cup Water
How to make Vegetable Vindaloo:
- Take a large pot, add water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Heat the oil in a big skillet, add garlic and onion, and lower the flame to medium.
- Fry at medium-high heat till the onion starts to brown for about 10 minutes.
- Keep aside and off the heat.
- Put the potatoes in the boiling water and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Cut the vegetables about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the skillet with the onion back on low flame and add turmeric, fenugreek, paprika, salt, ginger and green chiles.
- Heat till boiling a bit and add 2/3 cup water.
- Add all the vegetables and the boiled potatoes.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of hot liquid from the pot, and place it in a bowl.
- Now add tamarind, stirring fiercely to dissolve it and pressing it against the sides of the bowl.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot and raise the heat to high.