- 750 gm Fish, cut into smaller pieces
- Tamarind, size of a table tennis ball
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Fennel
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Large onion
- 1/2 Cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 tsp Masala powder (ground red chilli and coriander)
- 5 or 6 Sambar onions, sliced finely
- Salt to taste
- Methi seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- Apply turmeric powder and salt on fish, keep aside.
- Wash it properly after 5 minutes.
- Soak the tamarind in water and remove thick pulp.
- Grind the large onion, coriander leaves, pepper and somph together.
- Combine masala powder and salt with the tamarind pulp.
- Pour vegetable oil in a pan and season it using methi seeds.
- Now add the curry leaves and chopped onions.
- Cook it until the onion turns brown.
- Add the tamarind pulp mixture and boil it, cover the pan tightly.
- Add the fish after 10 minutes of boiling. Cook it properly.
- Remove from the fire when done and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Add lime juice if the gravy is too spicy.
- Meen kulambu is ready to serve.