- For Navajo Fry Bread:
- 4-5 Cups flour
- 1/2 Cup instant milk
- 3-1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 2 Cups water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 lbs Ground beef
- 1 Can pinto beans
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp Garlic salt
- Grated cheese
- Oil for frying
- Take a bowl and mix ingredients to make fry bread.
- Pour water and stir well.
- Knead the dough lightly, cover and keep aside for about 15 minutes.
- Heat one inch vegetable oil in a 10 inches skillet.
- Pinch off dough in small amounts and pat the dough into thin 8 inches circles.
- Fry them in the hot oil until brown on both sides.
- Now drain on paper towels.
- To make filling heat oil and fry ground beef and onion until brown, drain.
- Add beans and garlic salt with it.
- Simmer for about 10 to15 minutes.
- To serve, spoon filling onto the fry bread.
- Top with grated cheeses, lettuce, onion and salsa.