- 15-20 Fresh lemons
- 5 Cups water
- 3-1/2 to 4 Cups sugar
- 2 Quarts vodka or pure grain alcohol
- Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any residue of wax or pesticides.
- Zest the lemons with a vegetable peeler so that there is no white pith on the peel.
- In a one-gallon glass jar add lemon zest and one quart of vodka.
- Cover the jar and leave it at room temperature for at least 10 days and up to 40 days in a dark and cool place.
- Take a big saucepan and combine sugar with water and cook for 5 to 7 minutes till slightly thickened.
- Add the syrup to the Limon cello mixture, when cool.
- Add the remaining vodka with this mixture.
- Allow to rest for another 10 to 40 days.
- After this period, strain and bottle, discarding the lemon zest.
- Keep lemoncello into the freezer or refrigerator till ready to serve.