- 12 to 14 lb Turkey, not pre-basted
- 1-1/2 Cups kosher salt
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Bay leaves, broken into pieces
- 4 Juniper berries, smashed
- 4 Allspice berries, whole
- 1 Head of garlic, peel and separate cloves
- 1/3 Cup fresh chopped thyme
- Water as required
- In a large bowl combine salt, sugar and 4 quarts of water.
- Keep stirring, till the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Add the remaining ingredients to it.
- Put the turkey in the stockpot and mix the brining solution with it.
- Add sufficient cold water to this so that the turkey is fully submerged.
- Now cover the container and place it into the refrigerator or another cold storage area.
- Allow the turkey to stand in the solution for 10 to 12 hours.
- After the required soaking time, take out it from the container and thoroughly rinse under the cold water.
- Brining solution should be discarded as it cannot be reused.
- The turkey can be cooked using several cooking methods, such as roasting, grilling and deep-frying.