Pineapple Shrimp Curry
- 1-1/2 lb Large shrimp, shelled or unshelled
- 2 Cups fresh or canned pineapples, cut into bite-size
- 2 Cups coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp Malaysian fish curry powder
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1-2 tbsp Chili powder, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Stalk lemongrass
- 1 Inch galangal
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 4 Shallots
- 1 tsp Belacan
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Grind galangal, garlic, lemongrass, shallots and belacan into a fine paste.
- Take a small bowl, combine curry powder and chili powder.
- Add a little water and make a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium- high heat, adds ground paste.
- Fry for about 5-8 minutes, keep stirring.
- Add curry paste, decrease the heat to low, stir-fry till quite toasted and oil starts to ooze from the paste.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, pineapples, and season with salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now immediately reduce the heat to medium-low, simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, simmer for about 2 to3 minutes till shrimp turn just opaque.
- Remove promptly from the flame, let stand for about 15 minutes.