Dry Masala Crabs
- 1 kg Blue flower crabs
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Cup corn flour or tapioca flour
- 3-4 cm Piece ginger, pounded
- 10 Shallots
- 5 Cloves garlic
- 4 Candlenuts
- 2 cm Piece belacan or 1 tsp belacan powder
- 2 cm Piece cinnamon stick
- 5 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom pods remove the husks and use only the tiny seeds inside
- 1 Pandan leaf, knotted
- 2 Stalks lemon grass, bruised
- 10 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Ground fennel
- 3 tbsp Chillie paste
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 Cup UHT milk
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper powder
- Oil as required
- Wash the crabs, pry the shells open and dig out spongy appendages.
- Trim the legs and cut each crab into two parts.
- Season crabs with ginger, turmeric powder and flour for about 15 minutes.
- Coat crab pieces with corn flour and deep fry in hot oil till just cooked for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Dish out and leave them on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Make a fine paste of ground fennel, ground cumin, chillie paste and milk.
- Grind shallots, garlic, belacan and candlenuts.
- Heat wok with 2 to 3 tablespoon oil and fry this ground mixture till fragrant.
- Add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods, curry leaves, pandan leaf and lemon grass.
- Fry for about 2 minutes on low heat.
- Combine the fennel paste with it and stir-fry well till aroma rises.
- Add the rest of the milk and simmer for about1 to 2 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar and black pepper powder, and mix well.
- Now Put in crabs and stir rapidly.
- Remove it from the heat, when crabs are cooked and gravy is thick.