- 2 Cups besan
- 3/4 lb Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- 4 Onions, chopped finely
- 4 Green chillies
- 4 Cloves garlic
- Sugar to taste
- Juice of one lime
- A few sprigs coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- A small piece ginger
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- A pinch of baking soda
- Oil for deep frying
- Water as required
- Salt to taste
- Cook potatoes into the Pressure cooker until soft.
- Peel and mash them, keep aside.
- Grind green chillies, garlic and ginger together to make a fine paste.
- Combine this paste, potato, onions, coriander leaves, sugar, lime juice and salt, mix well.
- Take a pan and heat a little oil and fry mustard seeds and curry leaves until the mustard crackles.
- Remove it from the heat and add it to the potato mixture.
- Take another bowl and combine besan, salt, cumin seeds, red chilli powder, baking soda, coconut, turmeric powder and little water in it, to make a thick batter.
- Add a tsp of hot oil to the batter.
- Make small balls from the potato mixture.
- Dip each ball in the batter and deep fry until golden brown.
- Serve hot batata vada with chutney or tomato sauce.