Lemon Garlic Roasted Turkey
- 1 Whole turkey, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1/3 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 Cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- As needed parsley or other fresh herbs
- As needed lemon wedges
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey.
- Wash turkey with cold running water and drain well.
- In a blender, combine lemon juice and olive oil.
- While blending, drop in garlic cloves one at a time and slowly add lemon zest, blend till mixture is pureed.
- Inject marinade into all parts of the thawed turkey with an injector, strain marinade if it is too thick to pass through the injector.
- Lightly rub the turkey to distribute marinade.
- Place turkey in a big plastic bag, close the bag and refrigerate it overnight.
- Take out the turkey and drain excess marinade.
- Scrape off the excess marinade and discard.
- Fold the neck skin and fasten to the back with 1 or 2 skewers and fold the wings under the back of the turkey and return the legs to tucked position.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a big shallow roasting pan.
- Massage the turkey with salt and pepper.
- Insert the oven-safe meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, carefully so the pointed end of the thermometer does not touch the bone.
- Roast the turkey in the preheated oven for about 3-3/4 hours.
- During the final hour of roasting time, baste it with pan drippings.
- If essential, loosely cover it with the foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Continue roasting till the thermometer registers 170 degrees F in the breast or 180 degrees F in the thigh.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and allow it to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- Put it on a warm large platter and garnish it with the fresh herbs and lemon wedges.