- 1 Cup brown lentils, washed
- 1 Cup long-grain rice, washed
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp Ground cumin
- 4 Large onions, sliced
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1-1/2 Cups warm water
- 2 tsp Salt
- Plain yogurt
- Take a big saucepan and heat water in it.
- Add lentils to it and bring it to a boil.
- Remove pan from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it under running water and drain.
- In a heavy pan, heat oil and fry rice and lentils on medium heat for 2 minutes, till grains are well coated.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric and warm water to it and bring it to a boil on high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cover the pan tightly, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Deep-fry the sliced onion in 2 batches in hot oil till caramelized, keep stirring.
- Garnish Mojadara with the fried onions.
- Serve it with yogurt.