- 3/4 Cup toor dal
- One medium sized ridge gourd
- 6 to 10 Green chilli peppers, finely chopped
- One medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Tamarind extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Peanut oil
- For Tadka
- 1 tsp Each of mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin, minced garlic and curry leaves
- Peel and cut the ridge gourd into small cubes.
- Place toor dal, ridge gourd, onion, green chilli peppers, tamarind and turmeric in a pressure cooker.
- Add about two cups of water and cook them until 3 whistles or till they turn soft.
- Combine salt with this cooked mixture.
- With a wood masher, make a fine paste of the cooked dal and vegetables.
- For a more soup kind of dal, add water, stir and bring it to a boil.
- In a vessel, heat peanut oil.
- Fry the tadka ingredients in it till golden brown.
- Combine the mashed dal-veggie paste with it, mix well.