Roast Turkey With Herbal Rub
- 1-13 Pound whole turkey fresh or thawed
- 1 tbsp Dried rosemary
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1 tsp Dried tarragon
- 1 Medium onion quartered
- 1 Lemon quartered
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Take out the giblets and neck from the turkey and reserve for broth.
- Clean the turkey with cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Put the lemon and onion quarters in neck and body cavities.
- Take a small bowl and mix oil with herbs, salt and pepper in it.
- With your finger tips, lightly loosen skin from the breast without pulling off skin.
- Place 1 tbsp of herb mixture under the skin.
- Now Massage the cavities and outside of the turkey with the remaining herb mixture.
- Secure the neck skin to the back with skewers and fold wings under back of the turkey.
- Place legs in the tucked position, may be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for some hours.
- Put turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a big roasting pan.
- Insert an oven-safe thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, carefully so it does not touch the bone.
- Cover the turkey with a loose tent of foil and roast it in a preheated oven for about 2-1/2 hours.
- Now remove the foil and baste it with pan juices.
- Continue to roast for about another hour till meat thermometer registers 180 degrees F in the thigh.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow it to rest for about 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Shift the roasted turkey to a large platter and serve with gravy.