- 300 gm Rice flour
- 15 Screwpine leaves
- 500 gm Fine brown sugar or chopped palm sugar
- 100 gm Grated coconut, white part only
- A dash of green colouring
- 500 ml Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- Blend screwpine leaves till fine.
- Remove it and extract juice from it.
- Take a wok and heat rice flour on low flame without using oil, be careful not to brown it.
- Transfer rice flour into a mixing bowl, add salt, mix well and make a well in the centre.
- Gradually stir in screwpine juice and make a smooth batter.
- Combine green colouring with it and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook it on high heat, stirring continuously.
- When mixture begins to thicken, stir quickly till dough leaves sides of the pan.
- Let it cool slightly.
- Now prepare the steamer for steaming putu mayam.
- When the water is boiling, place some dough into putu maker and press out onto an upturned rattan colander lined with white muslin.
- Move it in circular movements to get a round lacy piece and do not overlap the pieces.
- Steam over high flame for about 8 to 10 minutes or till cooked.
- Repeat till all the dough is used up.
- Serve putu mayam with grated coconut and sugar.