- 175 gm Palm sugar
- 3/4 Cup evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 Cups thick coconut milk
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom, ground
- 1 tbsp Rose water
- 1/2 tsp Mace, ground
- 1/2 Cup water
- A pinch cloves, ground
- Beat eggs carefully, they should not be frothy.
- Dissolve palm sugar in water on a low flame, cool slightly.
- Add palm sugar syrup, to beaten eggs.
- Combine the coconut milk with it, keep stirring.
- Strain through a fine strainer into a large jug and add evaporated milk, spices and rose water to it.
- Now pour it into individual custard cups.
- Place custard cups into a baking dish with water to come halfway up sides of cups and bake in a slow oven to set, for about 1-1/4 hours.
- Alternatively, place the similar depth of water into an electric frying pan.
- Set the temperature at 120 degrees C.
- Put custard cups in, cover and cook till set, for about 1/4 hours.
- Let it cool completely.
- Vattalapam is ready to serve.