- 1/2 Pound of small lentils, rinsed
- 4-1/4 Cups of water
- 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Pound of ripe tomatoes, puréed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Cup of olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- Red wine vinegar
- Add the water, tomatoes, bay leaves, onion, and garlic in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Bring it to a slow boil on medium flame and add the lentils and oil to it.
- Decrease the flame and simmer partially covered for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours till lentils are done.
- Remove it from the flame and take out the bay leaves.
- Add salt and pepper to it.
- Fakes is ready, serve it with vinegar on the side, added to the taste.