- 1 Cup haricot beans soaked in 3 cups water
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 250 ml Tomato puree
- 1/2 Red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 Large zucchini, finely chopped
- 3 Celery, finely chopped
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 5 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 Cup parsley, chopped
- 1 Cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 2 Massel vegetable stock cubes and black pepper
- 2.5 Liters cold water
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak beans overnight in 3 cups water and rinse beans after soaking, do not re-use the soaking water.
- Place the beans in cold water and put over low flame in the pot and simmer.
- Chop all the vegetables properly.
- Place celery, carrot, onion, zucchini, capsicum and cabbage in the pot.
- Simmer soup for about 30 minutes, and then add tomato, parsley, garlic, pepper and stock cubes to it.
- Stock cubes and tomato are added towards the end of the cooking because these tend to toughen the beans.
- Simmer for a further 2 hours or till beans are tender.
- Combine olive oil and oregano with it at the end of cooking to the pot or drizzle olive oil on the surface of the soup once served in the bowls.
- If the soup is too chunky or too watery, blend the soup with a hand blender for a couple of seconds to thicken it.