- 1 Pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 Cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 Cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 6 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 5 Cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 3/4 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch asparagus pieces in a big pot of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse asparagus under cold water.
- Bring chicken broth to simmer in a saucepan, reduce the heat to low and keep the broth hot.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy large saucepan on medium flame.
- Add chopped onion and fry till translucent, for about 4 minutes.
- Combine rice with it and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add dry white wine to it and cook till liquid evaporates.
- Continue cooking till rice is tender but still slightly firm in the middle and mixture is creamy.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth at a time and stirring continuously, for about 20 minutes.
- Add blanched asparagus pieces and stir till heated through for about 2 minutes.
- Remove it from the fire.
- Add butter to it and stir till incorporated.
- Stir in grated Parmesan cheese and season risotto with salt and pepper.